Thursday, January 26, 2006

To the Faithful Departed

From the silence comes noise.

Yes, Dear Reader, normal service has been resumed here. I apologise for the slight delay in proceedings but there's been a death in the family and I was needed elsewhere. The only thing that the last few days has served to tell me is things I already knew: that I hate funerals, that the worst thing about death is the people who get left behind, and that I don't deal particularly well with the news of Death's presence. Instead, I just seem to blank it out as much as possible until I'm faced with the actuality of the situation, and then it all comes out. All of which seems quite strange for me, since throughout my teenage years and beyond I've prided myself in writing songs that often mentioned the subejct in some form of back-handed metaphor. Perhaps the concept I think of is different from the reality of the situation? That's quite a good way to sum up my whole outlook on reality really; why bother dealing with the harshness of the real world when there are worlds of imagination that are far more interesting?

Anyways, I've been told by my folks to stop worrying, as it does no good for anyone, but I just can't escape this horrible, knawing feeling in my stomach when I think about my Gran's situation. No-one should have to be left on their own, especially during the twilight of their life. It just makes you fear the worst, that's all. What's that statement RTD once quoted with regards to narrative? "The Queen dies, then the King dies of a broken heart"? Perhaps I just need to keep repeating "Life isn't Who" in my head many times.

Talking of 'life', it was to my utmost horror that a member of one of the worst bands around (The Ordinary Boys) has turned up in the loser-hell of Celebrity Big Brother. To all those who think he's ultra-smart and all, he wrote and released an oh-so witty track last year called 'Life Will Be the Death of Me'. Ten out of ten for passing your Year 12 English exam with that one...

The Top 5 Most Played Songs on my iPod:

1. Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is
2. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
3. Maximo Park - Going Missing
4. Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
5. Que Onda Guero -Beck

No comments: