Saturday, March 25, 2006

Other People's Houses

A strange thought came over me on the train back from Reading yesterday, and the more I've thought about it, the more it seems to be a very valid question: why do you always think that other people's houses are much nicer and better than your own? For example, when I visited Anna in Oxford, I thought her place was open and spacious, but had a more homely feel to it than our place. It had a much nicer bathroom, and a kitchen space that didn't look like the last part had been stapled on to it. In short, it was cosy and welcoming and not like some form of student place. Then, I visit Darren and Stacey in Reading, and it turns out that I'm also in admiration of their place! Sure, its a ground floor flat, but the rooms are about the size that you'd need of them for two people. It's warm, and the kitchen is big enough so that people won't fall over each other. Plus, why do other people's showers actually have some pressure to them, whereas your own is pathetic in comparison. I then followed this thought through some more and came to realise that I used to think the same thing about people's houses at Uni. For example, Chris, Darren and Beth's place always seemed more contemporary and inviting than the dark corners of Wyeverne Road. Ditto that for Jo's place, and Janine's. More strangely, Chris actually used to admit that he preferred our place at Uni to his. Bizarre! So there we are, dear readers. Great Mystery of the World #251: Why Do You Always Think Other People's Houses are Better Than Your Own?

On a different note, I recieved a bittersweet piece of information today. One of my old housemates, Yash, has been offered a job working on Wall Street in New York and will be leaving in three weeks. Naturally, I'm thrilled for the guy. He deserves it after holding out for the right type of job, and I wish him 100% success for the future. I mean, come on! New York! How ace would that be? It'll just be a shame we won't be able to see him that often, and we'll miss his easy-going, laid back humour in forthcoming get togethers. We'll miss you buddy, but just make sure you have one hell of a good time!

Cyber Control's Favoured Five to Swing Your Pants To:

I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! At the Disco
Heart in a Cage - The Strokes
Stumble and Fall - Razorlight
Munich - Editors
Sussudio - Phil Collins

No comments: